Friday, June 5, 2009

LOST IN TRANSLATION

Not speaking Spanish fluently has put me in some interesting situations. On our 6 month trip to Panama, I had unknowingly and unintentionally agreed to sing a solo at the Baptist church for Christmas Eve, in French, no less! I only recently learned that I had asked for a “much bigger caca for my family, please” at the local fruit market a few weeks ago. I thought I was saying, “I want a bigger papaya for my family, please.” In Africa, papaya is "paw-paw", not so here in Panama. "Paw-paw" is apparently “caca” . I usually laugh at myself at least once a day. Yesterday was no exception.

My Spanish speaking next door neighbor, Nico, who I rarely see, was doing some gardening the other day. I happened to be doing my laundry (outside) and decided I'd practice my Spanish. I walked over to the fence and asked about his wife, who had broken her arm a month ago. Nico proceeded to ask about my children and my husband. You see, I can usually only go this far with conversations in Spanish. But yesterday was the day I dove down a little deeper. After approximately 20 minutes, Nico smiled at me, nodded and pointed to my house and said in Spanish, “See you at 2 o’clock today”. Then he walked away. I felt a little stunned and unsure what type of a date I had just made with my elderly neighbor. I blinked a few times to be sure I was awake and walk away.

I texted Paul, “I think I am teaching an English class to our neighbor today at 2.” Paul texted back, “Interesting”. Not sure what to think, I called my friend, Tammy, and ask her to be at my house by 2 so the kids and I weren't alone with Nico. She laughed at me. It seems older men who talk a lot have quite an affinity to me!

2 o’clock rolled around and in walked Nico with his briefcase and tape player. He sat down and took out an English course book he is studying. The study book is faded light yellow, with tattered edges and is falling apart. Apparently, he wanted to learn English. Great, I could do that. We started by writing our names on a white board, but Nico was so easily distracted and half way through printing first name and last name, he suddenly pulled out a fruit and vegetable flyer from the 1970’s, that is also falling apart and stained with who knows what. I hummed and hawwed at the fruits as he pointed out each one. Then we continued with our names. Then Paul walked in, said "hello" and got to repairing a tap in our shower, which had been leaking for a few days. Suddenly, Nico was off. He joined Paul and was in the shower stale tapping the hot water facet with a wrench. Paul and I just look at each other and shrugged as Nico talked on in Spanish about needing the right “teeth” to fix the problem. We politely smiled and nodded in agreement. After a few minutes, we all sit down again and listened to a tape that went through different English words. We read through the first page in the study book, and then it was apparently time for Nico to go. He jumped up and asked what time we would meet tomorrow. Manana? I said, "No manana". He would like to meet everyday with me. I think I can only handle 2-3 days a week.

I handed Nico some avocados and ushered him out the door, but not before I think he said he is building an electrical fence and if we ring the door bell we will either die or wake him up. Good times in Panama!

Until I blog again.

Linda

No comments: