Wednesday, February 6, 2008

ANOTHER NEW HOME-BOCAS DEL TORO

After packing up all our stuff and cleaning our rental place in Boquete, we headed to Bocas Del Toro this past Saturday. We made the 2.5 hour mountain road ride from Boquete to Almirante, caught a 30 minute water taxi ride from Almirante to Bocas Del Toro, and then another water taxi to take us to our condo at Playa Mango Resort. Remembering how expensive groceries are in Bocas from our last trip, we decided to load up on food in David. You should have seen us with our suitcases, boxes of food and cooler of meat, piling into the water taxis. Quite a sight.

Upon arrival, we quickly realized our version of “fully furnished” was a bit different than the landlords. I'll admit, I was quite upset about the lack of what I consider basic items: blankets, bedside tables and lamps, dish towels, bathroom towels, microwave, and the like, but, as God usually does, He gently reminded me to be grateful for all things.

This reminder took place this afternoon. The kids and I were out walking on the beach enjoying the afternoon breeze. Then we saw 4 woman, with 2 sheets, who walked right into the water fully dressed. Behind then followed 2 young boys. We got closer to see what they were doing. They were trying to catch supper and having a great time doing it. They would corner the fish on either side than pull all 4 corners of the sheets up quickly to try and catch some fish. They were all clapping when they got a handful of small minnows. Wow! I immediately thanked God that I had food for a week in our condo and that I didn’t have to worry about feeding my family.

Sometimes I can get so focused on the little things, when a bigger perspective is what I need. It was a good reminder to be content, whether with much, or with little. You would think that with my travels to Africa that this lesson would never be forgotten. Well, I had forgotten and needed to be reminded!

I had some great shots of the women fishing, but can't seem to download them off my camera. Hopefully we'll see them again, and I'll try to get some pics to show you.


The view from our balcony

Our kitchen in the condo.

Yes, the breakfast dishes are still not done at 10 AM. Life is grand!

No comments: