Sunday, February 17, 2008

WOULDA, SHOULDA,COULDA

~A family shot at Red Frog Beach~



Well, today was one of those days you look back on and think, “we could have done that a bit better”.

The day started out rainy. But after a brief break in the weather, Gerald and Paul headed into town to rent two surf boards for our planned surfing adventure. Josh has been waiting since we arrived to go surfing. The manager at the surf rental place the boys found recommended that us “surf rookies” try an easy and safe beach called “Black Rock”. They paid for the boards (a 9 foot board for the kids to learn on, and a 6 foot board for the veterans…wait a minute, none of us know what we’re doing), and headed back to our place with the boards in hand. We arranged for a water taxi, and made our way to our surfing destination. After unloading all our stuff on this “awesome beach”, we start walking and quickly realized it was not the best place for first timers. We stopped a couple walking back from an area loaded with surfers and asked how the surf was. (Now, don’t I sound like a real surfer dude?). They said the surfing ahead was not a good idea for beginners as it was “rough with reef”. Translation: high potential for bleeding and crying children and adults, courtesy of the ample coral reef. Not my idea of a good time. After our consult, they took off, and we all kind of stood around talking about what to do next. We finally decided to go to Red Frog Beach, Syd and Josh’s favorite beach in the Bocas area. We would have gone to Red Frog in the first place, had we known (and had we listened to Josh). But that was not how this day would unfold. So we called the same water taxi back (about 10 minutes after being dropped off) to pick us up and head off to our new surfing destination. Upon arrival we all hopped into the ocean and tried to “catch a wave”. It was quite a comical sight. Some of us got up for a few seconds. Judy and Gerald were great and taught Josh the "basics" . Later, Paul and I headed out so I could learn to surf on a small board. We were out quite a ways and the waves were about 4 to 6 feet high. Each one swept over us and usually moved us back 6 feet for every 2 feet we were able to move forward. Anyways, while one of the “narly waves” was crashing over us, I lost my grip on my board which then “caught a wave” and smashed Paul in the face. Dazed, a bloody lip which quickly swelled up, and sporting an instant head ache, he made his way back to shore. It was then that he noticed he wasn’t able to make a chewing motion (clinching his jaw). Oops, we may be dealing with a dislocated jaw. Sorry baby! Later on I got pulled under by a few killer waves and had a hard time getting back to shore. That made the day a little interesting for everyone, especially me. Syd saw my boogie board come into shore with no Mama, and let Paul know I was struggling. I was never airless, but I kept getting thrown out further and further away from the shoreline. I saw Judy, Gerald and Paul all run towards where I was, so I knew I was not alone. One wave crushed me pretty good. Thank God I do yoga because one snapped my head back pretty hard. It felt like my butt touched my head, and I heard a “crack” as I got yanked out to sea. Probably shouldn’t have been out that far. Within a few minutes I was on dry land telling everyone my story and assuring everyone I was OK. At one point a little later, Syd lost her bathing suit bottoms (for a brief moment) which she immediately put back on, but not until she waved them in the air for us all to see. (She’s so cute). After being pounded by the ocean, we decided to play it cool and frolic on the beach, eat snacks and build sand castles, and rest our battered bodies.



"Stranded" on Black Rock. Note what Marley wrote in the sand. (far right)




Josh catching a wave. Gerald supervising in the background.

Sydney and Marley hanging out


After our “3 hour tour” at the beach we decided to head back to the dock to catch a water taxi home. Little did we realize that our cell phones did not work where we were, and we found ourselves stranded. We should have arranged for a ride when we got dropped off. Another oops. Life lesson for the kids, (and us) learn from your experiences.

We finally made it home, exhausted, hungry,happy and sun burned. In my humble opinion, we probably could have planned the day a bit better. But overall, it was a great day of memories and we found ourselves in some stories that will become more entertaining as we reminisce in years to come.





Until I blog again,
Linda


1 comment:

www.erinkelly.ca said...

Linda! My goodness you are brave.
I don't like the sounds of your accident. Are you sure you shouldn't get an X-ray just in case? Someday I'll tell you the "halo" surfing story regarding my brother. (don't worry, he gets it off in another 4 weeks!)

WELL DONE JOSH! That is a great photo. You'll have to enlarge that one and get it framed. And I giggled and giggled and the visual of Sydney waving her swimsuit.

Paul, promise us you won't go ANYWHERE anymore without wearing water-wings and a helmet.

We love you all...Thanks for the update. It's great to "See" you!