Monday, February 25, 2008

SURFING SCHOOL

This past Saturday our family participated in a family surf lesson. We were picked up at 9:30 by our New Zealand teacher, Andrew and his wife, Anita. We piled into their 4x4 and drove to a beach about 10 minutes away (Playa Del Cabana).

After a brief verbal instruction and pretending to "get up" while on the beach, we all headed into the water. Andrew worked with Josh, and Anita worked with Sydney. Paul and I were pretty much left on our own. Let me tell you, I now know why all the surfers are so thin and have a 6 pack. Its not an easy sport. Syd and Josh were up within a few tries. Paul and I, well, it took a "little longer".

By the end of our 3 hour lesson we were all standing up on our boards, 3 of us were bleeding, we were all exhausted and only one person got a board in the face (nothing serious). I was so proud of Syd and Josh. Josh looked like an angel surfing. It came quite naturally for him and he looked so relaxed on the board.

For cursive writing today, Josh wrote, and I quote;
" Surfing is very, very cool. I am very glad I got to surf. Lopster is very good."
It was hilarious trying to get to sleep that night. Every time either Paul or I rolled over in our sleep we would groan, waking up the other, then laugh. Everything hurt, but it was well worth it!



Taking a little break from surfing class







Josh doing his thing.


Syd and I showing off our surfing injuries with pride.

2 comments:

Gerald said...

The lessons were a great idea. It was a good idea to see what we had been doing wrong.
I see that you found the right beach to start at ... lol

The Ravenbergen girls bruise like peaches :)

Way to go Josh !!!!

Unknown said...

that looks like fun! hope you guys come home soon!
alayna bliss