Thursday, March 11, 2010

MORE MOMENTS

My last entry I blogged about how quickly the kids were growing up. I have pre teen children and both have larger feet then me! Syd is already borrowing my clothes and Josh picks me up off the ground, just because he can. So, how do I enjoy those moments? I let the kids non verbal tell me when our hug is over, I try and be very present when they are telling me something important, I touch their shoulder and look them in the eye when we talk. I take a few extra minutes to cuddle at bedtime as we talk about our day. I tell them often how glad and proud I am to be their Mother.

Many times I fail at the above, but I do try. Last Saturday Joshua had his first Thai Kwan Do tournament. Josh has been so into Thai Kwan Do and has been improving considerably. We loaded up our car at 8:15 for an 8:30 start time. Needless to say, the tournament did not start until 10 ish. I sometimes forget we live in Central America. We could tell who the veteran parents were, they showed up at 10, with hot drinks, blankets, pillows to sit on and coolers of food. The stadium was freezing, well freezing for me, and we had to sit on hard concrete steps.

The kids were to first show their forms and get marked on those. Then the flighting began. Now Josh is a tough, tall and strong young man, but he also has the gentliest of spirits. I know Josh can flight and defend himself, but I must say my heart was pounding as he entered the ring to fight an older kid who had his green belt, 2 levels above Josh. I must admit, I do not get adrenaline rushes here very often, and I must say, Mama like. I became one of those mothers yelling "Kick him, harder, higher, go for it!"
The 6 groups of kids from our Province waiting to show their forms.

Josh with his silver an bronze metal. Proud of you son!

It was a really great day for many reasons. Josh got to show his skills, I got to hang with friends and I felt like I was finally part of the community I live in. Getting connected has always been easy for me. In the past, with my job, the kids schools and activities or Paul's job I was always immediately networked. Here, especially because of the language and cultural challenges, connecting has been a challenge. That has been tough and lonely for me at times.

Anyhow,,,,,,

Deep thoughts by Linda.

If you have face book, Paul has Josh's entire fight on his profile, he is the one on the left.

Until I blog again.
Linda

No comments: