Saturday, November 8, 2008

CATCH UP

THE LATEST

At this point, we have been in Panama for just over a week. Lots has happened - lots hasn’t. Let me backtrack and get you all in-the-loop.

We arrived in Panama City Wednesday night and had a van waiting there for us to take our 19 bags and the four of us to our friend’s house, the Schmulands. It was so wonderful to have a home to go to on our first evening. It was great to connect with Jody and Trent again. They are what we consider, "expert international movers". They have traveled extensively all over the world with their 3 young kids. After this move, I have even more respect them.

After a goods night sleep, Paul was up bright and early to attend a couple business meetings in downtown Panama City. He returned briefly for lunch and then packed up our car with all our stuff and took off to David - a 6 hour drive to the west side of the country. After arriving safe and sound, he unpacked and settled into a beautiful home located in Portorillos , a small village of around 1800 people just north of Dolega (between David and Boquete). While Paul was driving across the country, the kids and women did what we usually do - play, paint our nails, play DS, WII and Lego, and go out for lunch to our favorite coffee shop for bagels and lattes. (Rough life eh?) On the way home, it was a quick stop for some bananas.

The next morning the kids and I boarded a plane and flew 45 minutes to David where Paul and my dear friend, Jenni, were waiting for us at the airport. We did a grocery run and headed to our 3 bedroom, 2 bath bungalow (temporary housing). This house is actually the house Lynda and Ken Newton (long time friends) have rented. Fortunately for us, they won’t be arriving for another 2 weeks. And they graciously offered that we could use it until they arrive. The place is amazing - 2 eating areas, a washer, dryer. Dryers are unusual here (but very nice) as they can eat up the electricity and most people dry their clothes on the line.

What is it like being back? Truthfully - its been really good. When I left many people ask how I was feeling. To be honest, I felt kind of "flat" about the whole thing. I am usually very expressive and found myself either at peace or just flat. I still haven’t figured out which it is yet. It has been wonderful seeing all our friends again. We felt so warmly welcomed Friday night at a Halloween-birthday party. Sharon Brown made a birthday cake for Paul and Christine who was also celebrating her 43rd birthday that day. Saturday we hung out with the Bliss family, always a relaxing and great time. Sunday we went to a house church and reconnected with even more old friends. After church we all headed to the grand opening of our friends, Henry and Tamar’s, new restaurant - Tammy’s. Probably the best hummus and chicken I have even eaten. Prices were reasonable, as well. By Monday, we were exhausted with all the visiting. So, true to form, I had 14 people over for supper. This house we are in is great for entertaining. I am not sure what kind of house we will eventually get so I thought I would take advantage of this place.

ABOUT A HOUSE

This is proving to be a little more difficult than we had anticipated. We have seen 5 houses. Nothing fits our list so we need to re-work the list. This is a busy time here in Panama, so not much is available. Things work a little differently here. Houses for rent are listed with realtors and brokers. Anyone who wants to rent a house, list with as many people as they can. We called up different people who let us know they had several houses to show us. Most times we would pull up to a house and realize we'd already been shown it by someone else. We have also driven around and tried to find hand made rental signs - "Se Aquillar” (for rent). We'd call the number, and inevitably, no English. We'd have someone call on our behalf to see if we could get access to the see the houses, but typically the keys were with the owners who were "out of town". We had one guy show us a house for rent and he said that the last people paid $1000 a month, but for us it would be $2000 a month because the previous owners had totalled the place resulting in lots of repairs - which we apparently were expected to pay for. Thanks, but no thanks!! Everything takes a long time here. As well, we happed to have arrived during the longest stretch of holidays during the year - 10 days off, for most people. Its the season when they celebrate their liberation from Spain and Columbia. They also celebrate the “shouting watermelon” day. Still not clear on all the details of that holiday!

So as of right now, no house . Am I discouraged? Yes. Yet I keep reminding myself that everything else has worked itself out, so I need to continue to trust and serve in the face of uncertainty everyday.

THE KIDS

As we approached US Customs as we were leaving Calgary, Josh asked - with an upset tone of voice, "Are we really doing this?” He let Paul know that he wasn't at all happy about "his" decision to leave Calgary. But by the time we arrived at the Houston airport, Josh had obviously turned a corner annoucing to all present, with arms wide open, “I’m baaaccckk!!!” He loves his food, and for whatever reason, he loves the Houston Airport food court. He tells is its the oversized food and drinks. Both Syd and Josh are really happy here. It is interesting. We're in a 3 bedroom house, yet the kids have decided to sleep in the same room. We hear lots of laughter and singing. They are doing well with home schooling. Me, not so much. This curriculum is a little confusing for me. What do I need, the workbook, the text book, the practice book or the assignment book. It will take me a bit to get things organized and working well.

At I'm writing, I have laundry drying on the line. There's been tons of rain, not unexpected, but this morning it is sunny, warm and breezy - perfect laundry weather. I chased Paul and the kids out of here (they are at the Bliss house), and Daisy, my spit fire housekeeper just bleached the floors and cleaned the entire house in 2 hours. "Mama likes Daisy". She speaks only Spanish at an alarming rate. I can’t understand any of it. I ask her to slow down in Spanish, but she only speaks louder with more hand gestures. Still "no can do". I smile and nod politely and go about my business.

SOME INTERESTING DIFFERENCES

Living in a rain forest is so beautiful. The birds, fruit and foliage are breathtaking. On the darker side, there is mold, lots of bugs and algae. Our driveway has a thin layer of green moss growing on it that is as slick as ice when wet - which is most of the time. We've all had 2 falls. We've purchased some “acido” for our gardener to apply to the drivenway - whenever I can communicate that to him. There is tile everywhere, and it is so slippery when wet. The kids love doing “slip and slide” on the porch walkway. The grout grows mold. So you have to bleach the floors at least twice a week. The dishes often need to be washed before using as bugs tend to find their way into the small dark places. Our towels feel damp, and start to smell after one use. I need to use bleach in every washing cycle. (Bleach is my friend here!) My hair is quite spectacularly frizzy, as wide as it is long. I have been called "the lion" here! Syd’s skin is not good, little bumps everywhere with blotches of eczema.
Saying all that, I am so happy we have made the transition. Yes, bumps and bruises along the way, but having a peace amidst everything, assures me we are on the right track. . Besides, isn’t life too short as is? Who wants to live a boring life? Not me!

Daisy just finished and told me either to bring laundry in by 3, or maybe it was she was coming back at 3, or maybe it was 3 people were coming for tea, who knows.

Off to finish laundry and hopefully see a few more houses for rent!

Until I blog again.

Linda

1 comment:

Pat said...

I really enjoyed the family blog; you certainly are having an adventure. However, I've decided I don't want to trade places with you after seeing the "bug" pictures - especially the tarantula. I'd have to have therapy!
Pat