Wednesday, November 5, 2008

LAST SUPPERS

It’s the morning of Monday, Oct 27, 2008 – 2 days before we relocate to Panama. As expected, there’s a few last minute things on the “TO DO” list that are going to make this a long day. But, by and large, we’re ready to go.

But the last week has been fantastic. We’ve enjoyed several “last suppers” and final coffees as part of our “farewell tour”. It started on Sunday with an incredible lasagne dish accented by an “aggressive salad” with Troy, Leisa, Carter and Cassie; coffee on Tuesday with Tom, then Vietnamese for supper at one of our favourite spots with Tracey; tasty pork on Wednesday with Shannon and David; mouth-watering steaks with all the trimmings on Thursday with Marv and Heather; ribs “to-die-for” on Friday with Paul, Sonia and L’il Will; chilli and a potluck of delicious finger foods on Saturday with our Discovery Ridge neighbors (thanks for hosting Bernie and Anne, we’ll miss all you guys and hope to see some of you soon); tantalizing Thai dishes on Sunday with Lynden. We’ll miss you guys. Thanks for the incredible eating experiences. We’re much fatter for it. And, of course, thanks for your friendship and encouragement. It will be missed even more.




Top Photo: Paul getting "DA Love" from Ron

Middle Photo: Our good bye party with neighbors at Bernie and Anne's place

Bottom Photo: Biro/Day Clan


Yesterday (Sunday) I had the surprise privilege of being part of officiating communion to the congregation at our home church (Westside King’s Church) with Bob Osborne. Thanks for the invite, Bob. It meant a lot.

Today is the last day of school for Syd and Josh. It’s a day of mixed feelings. It’s the only school our kids have attended - seven years (K-6) for Syd and five (K-4) for Josh. Glendale Elementary has become part of our family. To Ms. Maranucci and all the teachers of Glendale Elementary, especially those who’ve taught our kids...a million thanks – we’re sad to think about the education of our kids without you all involved.


Grade 4 class on PJ / Goody bye Josh- Thanks Meagan!


Sydney's grade 6 class on her last day. Thanks Jen, for everything!

15 HOUR PAUSE.....

It’s Monday night. And it’s been an interesting day. Both kids had farewells with their classmates. Thanks Ms Liddell (Gr 4) and Ms Grimm (Gr6) for creating the space and time to allow our kids to say “goodbye” in a creative and fun way.

Tonight, we got our old small group together (Rob and Amanda; and Rob and Genny – and their kids) and enjoyed some of Genny’s famous chicken and beef lasagne. It was a great way to close our weeklong “foodfest” and “farewell tour”. Afterwards, a long time (25+yrs) friend of mine, Greg, dropped by. It was great to catch up. Then, it was off to complete the last task of the night and our month long de-cluttering-letting go process – dropping off our car at its new owners.


After years of dis-ing 15 year old “Bessie” (as Linda referred to our 1993 Nissan Altima), it was time to hand the keys over to its new owner. I was ready to donate Bessie to the Kidney Foundation. But a friend actually offered us cash for her. The negotiations started with an offer of $1000. I couldn’t accept. I countered with “$1 and it’s yours”. He couldn’t accept. And countered with an offer of $500. I said, “I can’t knowing what I know” – which I explained in detail (e.g. radio and CD player don’t work, speedometer doesn’t work, odometer does work, A/C and heater work maybe 5% of the time, starter - maybe 70% of the time requiring that you sit and wait 5-10 minutes before turning the key for a second time; front and rear bumpers are dislodged a bit, shocks need to be replaced...and that’s the tip of the iceberg as to what makes Bessie such a treasured member of the Day Family fleet). So we agreed on $250. He wouldn’t less. I was willing to flex. And here it was, a week later, at the designated time of adoption. So I hopped in Bessie for the last time and made my way her new family. I was a couple blocks away when a flood of memories overwhelmed me. 15 years of life. So many places and experiences. I remembered driving with Sydney alone for the first time, a moment when I was starring in the rear view mirror, listening to the sounds of my hours-old daughter, and being overwhelmed with feelings of love that I had never known before – the love of a father for his daughter. I began to wonder if this was what my earthly and heavenly father felt for me. It caught me totally by surprise. I had to pull over until the tears subsided – safety first. Like I did 11 years ago, I started to choke up as I drove Bessie to her new parents. Then I quickly jumped ahead a few years through my member bank to another moment when, tired and excited, I put Bessie in reverse to back out of a parking space in the lower level of RockyView Hospital just hours after Joshua was born (this time on my own), and rammed the back bumper up onto a steel post ripping part of the bumper off. I started to laugh – a different response then I had May 19, 1999. Distracted and entranced by this collage of emotional memories, I drove right past my friend’s house. It wasn’t until I arrived at an intersection I didn’t recognize (a few minutes past my friend’s house) that I clued in, swung the car around and backtracked. As I did I felt my loose attachment to Bessie tightening. Minutes later when I went to hand over the keys I was surprised by a strange tug of war inside me. Bessie and I had been through so much together - hundreds of thousands of miles, four accidents, two children, living in two countries. And now, it was time to let go. As I put my signature on the dotted line signing Bessie over to a new owner, I felt a tinge of guilt and sadness, even a moment of second guessing. But I know things will be better for Bessie now. She’s in good hands. Hands that have “half-a-clue” mechanically – sorry Bessie, for years I’ve felt like such an inadequate owner. And you’ve suffered for it. Bessie, you’ve been good to me and my family. We’ll miss you and wish you all the best with your new family.

Til next time,

Paul


No comments: