Friday, December 21, 2007

FELIZ NAVIDAD FROM PANAMA




Our annual Christmas pose.
Yes the kids have grown, but we are also bending down to fit into the frame!!

Christmas is just a few days away. Can you believe it? It is amazing to see everyone here in Panama get into the Christmas spirit. Christmas is HUGE here. Lots of front doors are covered in gold and red wrapping paper, many have Christmas trees outside on their porch, and most of homes have lights strung inside and out. In Boquete’s village square there are wooden cut outs of penguins skating and building snowmen. It’s more than interesting since most of the locals have never even seen snow.

One thing we’ve learned is that Panamanians know how to celebrate and enjoy finding any reason to party. People save all year to celebrate Christmas. The stores are decorated beautifully and are loaded with aisles and aisles of decorations and toys. It would be easy to spend lots of cash. One of the things that is so great about living here is that they wrap your Christmas purchases in the store, and for free. It’s actually expected. Now that is a great way to do Christmas shopping! Parked in the shopping centre parking lots are 4x4 trucks blaring "Boom Boom" music out the back with huge speakers. The music is so loud it sets off car alarms. Some stores will even serve you drinks to help you"get in the mood".

We have a beautiful tree in our living room, well the kids and I think it is beautiful. Paul would have preferred more lights. The other day Josh made on off handed comment. He looked under the tree and said, “You know, we really have enough presents under the tree this year.” (We had 4 at that time) If that is the only reason we came to Panama than it was worth it!! I hope my children never forget how blessed we are and how grateful we should be for all we have.




Paul and Josh debating how a tree should be decorated. Josh prefers "freestyle", Paul prefers "planned and symetrical". Josh won out!



Syd and Josh dancing while decorating our tree

Not having cold weather is a bit odd, and reminds me of our Christmas’ in Pasadena, California. But we will do some traditional things like attending our church’s service on Christmas Eve, open our gifts on Christmas Eve so the parents can sleep in, and read the Christmas story together.

I’ve got to tell you this story, a funny thing happened last Sunday when the Pastor of the church we attend was looking right at us, talking in Spanish, smiling and nodding. I guess I must have returned a nod. Little did I know that by nodding I was unknowingly agreeing to something. I only found out a few days later when I got stopped in a shop and was asked by the church music director whether we were singing in English, French or Dutch. “I beg your pardon?” I politely asked. Quickly, I cleared that up, “NO, we will be attending, not participating.” I guess we had agreed to sing as a family. I have got to get more familiar with Spanish! We plan to spend Christmas Eve with a group of families for potluck. On Christmas Day, I think we will head to the ocean for a picnic just like Paul and I did when we lived in California.

So, I send you all my love during this Christmas Season. I hope you all have a great time freezing your buns off and shoveling mounds of snow…no, really, have an incredible time with your family and friends. Know you will be in our thoughts.


Our family sending you our love this Christmas. This shot was taken in Starfish Beach on the island of Bocas Del Toro. Syd has a starfish and Josh has a coconut which he carried around with him all day. I think he thought he was on survivor!


Love Linda, Paul, Syd and Josh

1 comment:

Sonia said...

OH you guys look so great. I'd would have loved being there for Christmas. Miss you guys so much and love you more. The kids are so big.