Friday, December 14, 2007

PRINCESS ON A MOUNTAIN

I haven’t blogged for a while. Two reasons for that, one, I dropped and broke our beautiful camera (boo hoo) and can’t get the images downloaded to our computer. What is a blog without pictures? A little boring if I have to say so myself. Secondly, life has settled down to a quiet routine here. The most excitement we have had was receiving some Christmas packages in the mail the other day. That was very exciting for us. We walked into our post office, showed them our name, "Dias?” No “Day” We have this conversation with Marisol, our postal lady, every time we go. I have our names written out in sharpie on a piece of paper now to ease along this process. Low and behold, not just 1 package of love, but 3 and a postcard from my parents. WOW!! We all hooted and high fived each other. It was just what we needed after a day of getting a flat tire fixed. Yesterday morning I woke up to a very flat tire on our car. Well, as you know, I am quite isolated on my mountain. Paul was away in Panama City for a few days, and I was alone. I have never changed a flat, yes I know, I am a bit of a princess. I usually call CAA or drive to my local Fountain Tire. Not the case in Boquete. I had a few options. One, stay on my mountain until Paul got home. Yes,I had enough food and water, but I don’t think so. I haven’t mellowed that much!! Two, call our friend Bruce who is very handy or three, call my landlord, Jerry. The third option was the winner. Jerry was kind enough to give me the 101 on tire changing. “You really should know how to do this Linda.” He said in his firmest voice. The guy is very soft spoken and sweet. I honestly don’t think I could have loosened the bolts myself. They are on extremely tight. Well, spare tire on, kids loaded into the car and down the hill I drive, slowly, avoiding every pothole. I am having images of the tire flying off over the huge cliff and me bumping my way down, sparks flying. I get to the garage and show them my nail in my tire. In my beautiful frespanglish (French, English and Spanish) I somehow get the point across that it needs to be repaired. 1 hour is all they need. The kids and I do our daily run; bakery, grocery store, school supplies, ice cream cone and the post office. By then I am sweaty, my hair looks like a lion, even worse then when in Africa, and I am covered with grease. Quite a looker! So receiving those parcels was just what we needed. We then rented Shriek 3 and headed over to the Bliss’ house for movie and supper.

Know I think of Calgary and all my friends often as seen below in a creative moment during "school" .

Can you find your name?

Well, just got a call, Paul is back from Panama City. Got to go and pick up my beloved.

Until I blog again.

Linda

4 comments:

lyndengill said...

Linda. I really had to laugh when I read about you changing a tire! To be really honest with you I can't remember the last time I changed a tire. In fact, I'm hard pressed to think to ONE time in my life when I've changed a tire! I think I know how, I just don't care to do it!

Princess on the Prairies!

Lynden

Unknown said...

Sounds like quite an adventure! Jayme and I are just imagining the lion-haired Linda! At least you're learning transferable skills.
Hope you guys have an incredible Christmas.
Love, Jayme & Lynn

Sonia said...

Yeah I found my name! Wow, so many adventures eh. Good for you and changing that tire. Still was probably a crappy day all around for you eh?? :o)

Sonia said...

I found Paul and William's too yeah!