Friday, December 21, 2007

BOTANY CLASS

I think I may have too much time on my hands, because I find myself thinking of how some of the foods we commonly eat in Canada grow. I honestly have never asked or thought about how pineapples grow. I would just buy one, at the Superstore for $4.99, if they smelt and looked good. The other day, after a quick swim in a near by river, we met a pineapple farmer. Taking every opportunity to incorporate learning, I asked if we could see his pineapple fields. He lead the way. Below are some shots of the stages of pineapple growth.

The pineapple starts out as this beautiful flower


It can take months for the fruit to grow. Note how the strong pineapple leaves need to be to hold this heavy fruit up.

Almost ripe. See the new flower below starting to bloom.

Here I pay 79 cents for a huge pineapple. I guess delivery is what is so costly in Canada. I'm still wondering where the pineapples we eat in Canada come from? Can someone let me know?

Anyhow, class dismissed!

Linda

1 comment:

Sonia said...

Wow, i didn't know that either. That's so pretty. 79 cents!!! Unbelievable.