Friday, October 26, 2007

Su Sido Un Rato (It has been a while)




Oct 25th 2007

We arrived in Panama 15 days ago, feels like a lifetime ago. Lots has happened, lots hasn’t. After having a great time in Panama City, we flew to David (pronounced DaBid), a 45 minute flight heading north west. After a few days of walking, talking and reading all the community bulletin boards, we realized David probably wasn’t the place for us to live for the next few months. Not only is there very little to rent furnished, but the low last night was 25. And we haven’t hit summer yet. The city of David is below sea level and is known as the hottest spot in Panama. Temperatures can reach 40+ in the summer (that doesn’t include the humidex factor). We headed for the hills, a place called Boquete. It is located about 45 minute drive north of David. Lots of English people living there year round, not something we were looking for, but the climate is way better. I imagine a village in Switzerland looking somewhat like this place.




Bouquete hillside, with extinct volcano in background


I was really hoping to be around more locals which would force me to learn the language and culture much quicker. I will have to be intentional about getting into the local villages. I hear there is an orphanage nearby and that 52 indigenous children have recently died from malnutrition and a virus. I have only heard a few tid bits of info here and there. I have no idea over what period of time and the location. This type of information is very interesting considering every where I look there are orange and banana trees. Yes, there goes the missionary/nurse/investigator/mother in me. (Maybe I could win some money for you Tim Warman!)

No one has A/C in Boquete because of the cool evening winds. It is usually 10-15 degrees cooler in the mountains with a great breeze. The land is very fertile due to the rich volcanic soil. Yes, I said volcanic. There is an extinct volcano that lies to the west of Boquete. And there are coffee plantations all over. The coffee here is so fantastic. I hope to take the kids on a plantation tour to study how coffee is made adn the process of harvesting from the plantation to our table. I also want to find out about the economics of these plantations. I have heard many of the workers are unable to afford to buy the coffee they pick! Incredible!

I had visions of me riding my bike or a Vespa around the village to get my daily groceries. Not as great an idea as I had imagined. The roads are very narrow and steep, quite bumpy at times and the drivers are pretty aggressive. I have decided to choose life!

Load of fresh fruit being dellivered to a nearby village.

Paul bought a Mitzubushi Montero Sport yesterday. We needed a large sturdy all-terrain vehicle for getting around here in Panama. This was a bit more than we had budgeted for, but hopefully we can sell it again before we leave. We decided on a Mitsubishi, because there are lots of them on the road and lots of parts locally in case of repairs. Some of the Mitzubishi's driven here look really old, a good sign of how well they stand up to the conditions here.


My "Incredible" family with our new car and temporary housing in background


We have rented a house. It has 3 bedrooms, is fully furnished, and is atop a hill with valleys on both sides of the property. We actually overlook the village of Boquete and a clear view of the volcano. The views are spectacular. There is a second floor (a bit unusally around here) which includes the 3 bedroom and an area that will serve as a class room/writing room. I will upload pictures once we have them.

We are unable to be in the rental home until Nov 5th. Today we moved from the Gran National Hotel in David (our home for the last 10 days) and have settled into a bed and breakfast just outside of Boquete until Nov 5th. (google "momentum panama").

Overall, its only been 15 days since we have left Calgary and we have almost created a life here for ourselves. The kids are doing really well. But there have been some stellar "Day Family" moments. For example, Josh vomited all over the restaurant floor at the Gran Nacional Hotel this morning right after breakfast. Not sure what's up with him. He seems to be feeling better now that he deposited his "lunch" in the restaurant.

Despite a few challenges our family feels stronger and more connected. It has been great being together as we navigate through a new culture, language and life.

Here are a few snaps of us. I haven't uploaded lots of photos because each one takes 7 minutes to upload. That is what you get when you live in the mountains!



Syd and Josh playing at the Pacific. The sand was volcanic black, and the waves were huge and dangerous, so no swimmng was allowed.

Living in a hotel for 10 days left us going a little "loco". The bananas are sooooo good.



Our temporary home has a few friendly ants. A delicious bedtime snack!
I look back on our journey so far, and think how priviledged I am to be here with my family. I have experienced so much already. I look forward to what the next few months has in store

Until I blog again.

Linda

3 comments:

www.erinkelly.ca said...

we love you Day Family!

great to hear from you. Those waves are HUGE! i got nervous watching Sydney do handstands and cartwheels around them. You loco locals!

Maybe Josh had too many ants to eat...and that is why he threw up. ;-)

Hugs to you Linda, for being the Indiana Jones of Mommies!

Mark Crocker said...

looks fantastic guys ... we are still renovating ... the never-ending project ... but i think there is a faint light at the end of this looong tunnel.

wish i was there!

Sonia said...

I love the last picture, it says so much. Love you